April 28th, 2020.
Brazil’s former solicitor general, André Luiz Mendonça, has been appointed by president Jair Bolsonaro as the new Minister of Justice and Public Safety, replacing ex-Operation Car Wash judge Sergio Moro. Bolsonaro also appointed his former head of security during the presidential campaign, Alexandre Ramagem, as the new Federal Police director-general. A survey made by Paraná Pesquisas has pointed out that most Brazilians believe that Brazil’s government has missed out on losing former Justice and Public Safety minister Sergio Moro, and that he would be a likely candidate during the 2022 presidential elections. Brazilian Federal Supreme Court justice Celso de Mello has opened an inquiry investigating the circumstances involving president Jair Bolsonaro’s dismissal of Sergio Moro, including their mutual accusations. The Northern state of Pará has officially hired 86 doctors from Cuba to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic, after a sudden spike in the number of confirmed cases and deaths raised red flags all over the state. Finally, the Argentinian government has banned all plane ticket sales until September, in an attempt to curb coronavirus contagion in the country.
Take a look at our highlights.
André Mendonça appointed as new Justice minister
André Luiz Mendonça, Brazil’s former solicitor general, was appointed today as the new Minister of Justice and Public Safety, replacing ex-Operation Car Wash judge Sergio Moro, who left office on Friday. An attorney and evangelical preacher, Mendonça was previously being considered for a seat in the Federal Supreme Court after president Jair Bolsonaro said he wanted someone “terribly evangelical” there. Bolsonaro also appointed Alexandre Ramagem, a federal police officer who has close ties with his sons and headed his security team during the presidential campaign, as the new Federal Police director-general. Ramagem, former head of the Brazilian Intelligence Agency, replaces Maurício Valeixo, whose dismissal caused Moro’s decision to quit Bolsonaro’s cabinet.
Most Brazilians believe Moro should run for president in 2022
A survey made by Paraná Pesquisas institute pointed out that most Brazilians believe the federal government is missing out on the loss of former Justice and Public Safety minister Sergio Moro. Only 18 percent of those interviewed believe the Jair Bolsonaro administration would not lose anything by Moro’s dismissal, while 3 percent did not know or chose not to state their opinion, and 78.5 percent said that the government would lose a lot without the former judge in the president’s cabinet. While 48.9 percent of those interviewed believe that Moro made the right decision by leaving the Bolsonaro government, 56.3 percent of those listened by the pollsters claimed that the former judge should run for president in 2022.
Celso de Mello opens inquiry to investigate Moro’s accusations against Bolsonaro
Yesterday, Brazilian Federal Supreme Court justice Celso de Mello authorized the opening of an inquiry to investigate the statements made by former Justice and Public Safety minister, Sergio Moro, against president Jair Bolsonaro, as he left his office. The decision was accepted after a request filed by Federal Attorney General Augusto Aras. The investigation could affect both Bolsonaro and Moro, since it may either indicate the president’s attempt to influence the Federal Police in its investigations of alleged crimes committed by at least one of his sons, or Moro’s attempt to falsely accuse Bolsonaro of a crime.
Pará hires 86 Cuban doctors to help fight the coronavirus epidemic
As the public health system of the Brazilian state of Pará reached its limit due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, the local state government decided to hire 86 Cuban physicians to help treat patients affected by COVID-19. 68 are already being deployed in the “front line” of the state’s hospitals. Until late Monday, Pará had recorded 2,128 confirmed novel coronavirus infection cases, with 114 deaths caused by the disease. According to governor Hélder Barbalho, this measure was necessary, due to the lack of available professionals in the state.
Argentina bans plane ticket sales until September
The Argentinian government has decided to ban all sales of plane tickets within the country until September, in another attempt to try to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus pandemic. A resolution signed on Saturday by the country’s National Civil Aviation Administration ruled that all airlines could only operate in the country or schedule commercial flights after September 1st, according to La Nación newspaper. The International Air Transport Association has expressed its concern with the Argentinian government’s decision in a letter sent to the country’s ministers, stressing the danger of economic losses possibly caused by the decision, as well as its “contradiction of bilateral agreements” signed by Argentina.