July 6th, 2020.
Italian film score legend Ennio Morricone has died at the age of 91, after being hospitalized in Rome. The secretary of Education of the Brazilian state of Paraná, Renato Feder, has issued a statement on his social media claiming that he refused the office of Minister of Education, but thanked the invitation; it has been suggested, however, that president Jair Bolsonaro himself canceled the nomination after right-wing ideologues within his administration issued a dossier on Feder. The city of São Paulo is beginning today a new stage on its calendar of reopening local commerce, after four months during which most of non-essential commercial establishments were closed due to the novel coronavirus pandemic; bars, restaurants, and beauty parlors will be allowed to reopen as long as they follow the state’s guidelines. Brazilian Economy minister Paulo Guedes promised four major privatizations of state-owned companies within 90 days, during an interview in which he blamed the COVID-19 pandemic for delaying his former plans. Finally, China is currently on alert after a case of bubonic plague was detected in the autonomous province of Inner Mongolia.
Take a look at our highlights.
Musical genius Ennio Morricone dies at 91
Italian conductor Ennio Morricone, the ingenious creator of several of cinema’s most iconic film scores, died today in Rome. The 91-year-old composer had been hospitalized in the Italian capital after fracturing his femur, and, according to his personal friend, Giorgio Assuma, “remained lucid until the end,” and died “consoled by faith.” Especially renowned for his work in classic Western movies, Morricone recently won an Oscar for his work in Quentin Tarantino’s “The Hateful Eight”, and a few days ago won, with fellow film score composer John Williams, the 2020 edition of the Princess of Asturias Award for the Arts.
Feder says he is “honored by the invitation,” but refuses the office of Education minister
The Secretary of Education of the Brazilian state of Paraná, Renato Feder, posted on a social media account on Sunday that he refused the invitation made by president Jair Bolsonaro to become the country’s new Minister of Education. “I was very honored by the invitation, which could crown the good work which has been done by Paraná’s 90 thousand professionals,” he stated. Rumors, however, are suggesting that Bolsonaro himself backed down on his invitation, due to pressure from members of his administration’s ‘ideological wing’, which allegedly even released a dossier on Feder.
São Paulo to allow reopening of bars, restaurants, and beauty parlors
The capital of the state of São Paulo is partially reopening today, after four months closed due to the novel coronavirus pandemic. On Saturday, mayor Bruno Covas signed with representatives of each commercial sector the rules to be followed by every establishment that decides to reopen at this stage, following all guidelines issued by the state government’s Contingency Center. Not all bars and restaurants are likely to open their doors now, especially due to one of the decision’s controversial rules, which restricts their opening time from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; pizzerias, for instance, which are usually open during the evening, are not planning on reopening any time soon, and will continue to serve their products by takeout or delivery.
Guedes promises “four major privatizations” within 90 days
Brazil’s Economy minister Paulo Guedes said, during an interview with CNN, that the government of president Jair Bolsonaro will announce “four major privatizations” within “30 to 90 days.” Guedes, however, did not disclose which state-owned companies would be included in the plan. “I would like to privatize all state-owned companies,” he said. The minister admitted, however, that the pace of his privatization program is slower than it had been initially expected. The government had planned on selling three companies in this year’s third and fourth quarter, eight to ten in 2021, and Correios, Brazil’s postal service, by 2022, but the COVID-19 pandemic forced a change on the privatization calendar.
China on alert after new cases of bubonic plague
Authorities in Bayan Nur, in China’s autonomous province of Inner Mongolia, confirmed on Sunday a case of bubonic plague in the city, placing the whole region on a state of alert for the control and prevention of the disease, which is scheduled to last until the end of this year, according to news agency Xinhua. The patient is a farmer who is currently in quarantine, in a stable condition. Another suspected case was detected in the neighboring country of Mongolia, where a 15-year-old had a fever after being in contact with a marmot pursued by a dog. The bubonic plague, caused by the bacteria Yersinia Pestis, is one of the most deadly diseases ever to affect mankind.